Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Mark 4:18
Jesus had just told a story to the disciples. Some people will hear about God and totally embrace it. Some will embrace it for a short season, and others not at all. What gives? Here Jesus says that three things come in direct conflict with the growth of the kingdom in our lives.
- Worries of life.
- Thinking money can solve everything.
- Desiring other things.
- Worry. Money. Desire. Sometimes that describes my day. I worry about everything, think that money can solve my worries, and want more stuff to make me happy. My life can get so wrapped up in worry, money, and desire for more that I choke out the kingdom.
- Just another example of the upside down kingdom. What would life be like if I didn’t have to worry about money? What if the desire for things I do not have stopped consuming my life? It would be freedom. It would give more than enough room for the kingdom to work in and through my life.
- If the kingdom of God is inside of me, I need to empty out some space.
- Father, you own everything. Why do I worry? Why do I trust myself so much? My heart knows that money can’t be trusted. I know it doesn’t solve everything. I know that other things solve nothing. Thanks for the reminder that you are to be trusted. May my life have room for your kingdom to grow and be released.
- [tags]money, worry, devotions, Mark 4, journaling, Bible, God, Jesus, church[/tags]