But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you – Matthew 6:17-18
During the week of April 1-7 we are encouraging the people of MCC to fast for one day. The purpose of the fast is to pray that our friends would come to our Easter experience and that they would make a decision to follow Christ.
Never fasted before? Here are some tips.
1. Check with your doctor before starting a fast.
2. Fast from food. A Biblical fast is a fast from food. A fast from x-box or texting might be nice, but it is not a Biblical fast.
3. Drink plenty of water and juice. Keep your body hydrated.
4. Pray. Instead of taking time to prepare and eat food, read the Bible and pray. As your body reminds you that you are hungry (and it will), use that as a trigger to pray. We are praying specifically for our friends to come to our Easter experience and that they would make a decision to follow Christ.
5. Break the fast lightly. A huge meal after even a one-day fast is not the greatest idea.
6. Pay attention to your body. Some people cannot physically fast, even for a day. If that happens, it is OK. Break your fast but keep praying.
7. If a one-day fast is too overwhelming, consider skipping a meal that you would not normally skip
Want to join hundreds of other people for the fast? Take a minute and text us your info. “My name is (your name) and I am fasting on (day) for (name of friend / friends). Text to: 812-619-9023
Don’t forget to invite your friends to the Easter experience at Maryland on Sunday, April 8 at 9 and 11