As we went through the All In series at MCC, I have been getting some questions on budgeting.
I know, I know. When you hear the word “budget” it makes you want to run the other way. However, being on a budget can actually change your financial landscape. Some benefits Steph and I have realized from budgeting:
- We know where the money is going because we tell it where to go before it tells us.
- Few surprise expenses. For example, we pay car registration once per year. We save a little each month so when it comes due, we simply take the money saved and pay the bill. No stress.
- We know what we need to cut and what difference it will make.
- Guilt-free spending. I can go and spend money on clothes with no guilt. Why? Because each month I get a clothing allowance.
- Easy balancing of the checkbook. With everything computerized, balancing the checkbook is a breeze.
Steph and I use Money Map software program. We have used this for several years and are happy with the performance. We can track all the money to see what is going where and what, if anything, needs to change.
I’ll be honest with you. Setting all this up will take some time. It may get a little frustrating, but PUSH ON! It is well worth it. You will need to collect your bills, input them into categories, set up your paycheck, etc . It is not extremely difficult, but it will take some time.
Do you have a different system of budgeting that you use? If so, share it below!